Monday, July 6, 2015

Shosei-en


Shosei-en is a small Japanese garden located a few blocks east of Higashi Hongan-ji, a large Buddhist temple in the center of Kyoto.

In fact, Shosei-en is a detached residence with a large pond stroll garden that was originally constructed as a retreat for the chief monk Sen’yo (1602-1658). The land was donated by Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1641.

There are many features within the garden, including teahouses, stone bridges, a wooden bridge called Shiniestu-kyo, a covered bridge, several small islands, stone lanterns, and an unusual wall made of fragments from other structures - including a stone mill.

I chose this as my last garden to visit because it was located so close to the hostel where I was staying. Although none of the buildings were open when I visited, the grounds made for a lovely way to spend my afternoon, even in the rain.