Friday, July 3, 2015

Daan


Daan is a restaurant I stumbled across after leaving Nanzen-ji. It was noon time and I was hungry. At first I thought I was looking at the  gate of yet another temple, but I quickly noticed a sign resembling a menu, with the English words “box lunch.” I was certain it was a temple, especially given the garden-like scenery on the interior of the gate. Not wanting to miss a chance to view another garden, and being motivate by hunger and the possibility of food, I entered. I followed a meandering path through a lovely garden. I could hear the sound of water falling from a small waterfall, and then came across a stone lantern and water basin. I soon found an entrance way, entered, and was greeted by a kimono-clad woman. I soon found myself sitting within a spectacular dining area overlooking a beautiful garden. I then proceeded to dine on an elaborate Japanese style box lunch, the contents of which were as beautiful to behold as they were wondrous to eat. It was one of my most memorable and enjoyable meals while traveling through Japan.