Saturday, July 4, 2015

Sunny Place


With the help of the Happy Cow online healthy eating guide, I was able to locate a 100% vegan restaurant in Kyoto.

Located in the Sakyo Ward of Kyoto, the restaurant was nestled in an area that was very lively and residential, unlike the more urban area around the Kyoto Station. I had the sense that this was a typical neighborhood in which people lived normal lives outside the hustle and bustle of the inner city.

I arrived at the restaurant as it opened, so I was the first customer of the evening. The owner/chef was very friendly and helped me to understand the options from the “Plant Lab” menu. He also explained that being vegan in Japan was difficult. I, in turn, explained that it was equally difficult in the U.S.


He cooked up a wonderful Pad Thai style dish, the flavor of which can not be described with words. It was unlike any Thai dish I had ever had, and best of all, it was completely vegan.  Overall, a great experience and well worth the trip to northern Kyoto.